29 July 2007

Great 2.0 bores of our time….

“It’s such a brilliant time to be in PR…..I mean, the whole social networking thing is completely revolutionising the way people interact….it’s rewriting the rules of engagement……and PR is at the forefront of it…..just look at the success of MySpace, although of course it’s Facebook that’s really hot at the moment….he’s only 23 you know….a friend of mine knows him….the social media dynamic is seeing small groups of people that have a similar interest coming together…..it’s really quite earnest…..and for companies to engage effectively they must be really transparent…..there’s a two-way dialogue that advertisers really don’t understand…..they are stuck in broadcast mode, not engagement….PR really is overtaking advertising…….have you seen my Facebook profile….need to apply the Long Tail principle…..how lots of people still buy David Bowie’s back catalogue…..there is a lot of money to be made by selling just two or three copies of something every month….you must really keep your own blog before advising others on running one….but of course it’s more than just blogs…..RSS……Flickr, Facebook and….um….mobile applications….yes it’s more than just kids using IM….it’s about citizen journalism….when you watch the news now, have you noticed how even the BBC will use video content shot by witnesses…just normal members of the public…everyone is a potential journalist….and comment, of course, that’s what the blogosphere excels in…it’s the democratisation of opinion…..it’s such a great moment to be in PR….”

13 comments:

Alexander said...

Nobody read this...

Anonymous said...

Damn.

Anonymous said...

Everyone knows that this is the real online story of the year :)

http://icanhascheezburger.com/

....the world's leading.... said...

Is that spam?

No, it's a cheezburger.

I hate cats.

Anonymous said...

Methinks some people have moved from a quick succession of double espressos to something a little more Irish?

Unknown said...

You forgot to include a mention of how so-and-so 'gets it' - surely the least meaningful and yet most widely used compliment (or indeed, insult) in the whole 2.0 world.

"Yeah, such-and-such an agency really gets 2.0, but so-and-so doesn't get it at all. The poor sap."

marcus said...

very biting... and very apt as it looks like Business 2.0 mag is going to go the way of all things 2.0.....

Anonymous said...

The thing is TWL, this is all valid stuff. The problem, from my experience, is that the majority of the industry still doesn't get it. I've seen enough AD's talk it up in pitches and proposals, but the strategy and thinking behind the use of all this 2.0 stuff is more often than not completely at odds with what will actually work.

And on that note - NO MORE BLOODY USER GENERATED CONTENT IDEAS!!! FFS AGENCY PEOPLE!!!

Anonymous said...

Totally unrealistic.

Didn't include the phrases 'paradigm shift', 'solution', 'zeitgeist' or leverage.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that makes me want to puke all over myself... that makes me want to shit in my pants, sit around in it for a week and shit in my pants again...

Anonymous said...

Re: Gets it (by Fiona Blamey)

I heard a PR manager complain: "You know, some people just don't get the visionary thing." And I must say I had to agree with her. Well, she was employing me at the time.

Mind you, she hasn't hired me since, so being a yes man obviously didn't work.

I've tried No man. I've tried yes man. Neither really works.

Is there another strategy?

Unknown said...

Nick: was your employer perhaps referring to the 1990 Sisters of Mercy album? I preferred 'Floodland' myself, though any true connoisseur would insist that it was all downhill for the Sisters after 'Temple of Love'.

Anonymous said...

>>I've tried No man. I've tried yes man. Neither really works.

Is there another strategy?<<

Well, yes and no.....